My presentation from 360|Flex – Getting the most out of Axiis

On Wednesday I presented “Getting the most out of Axiis” at 360|Flex. I made some pretty significant changes to the slides between when the thumb drives were prepared and the actual presentation. The new slides are available here. During the talk I demonstrated some of the major features of Axiis through a series of code examples that built on one another. Here’s what the final product looked like:

Get Adobe Flash player

Source for all the examples

The session was recorded, so once the video is online, I’ll post it here to give some more context to the examples.

UPDATE:
You can download the session video here. Just do a ctrl+f for my name. Looks like the screen recording didn’t go as planned, but they got the audio.

10 Comments

1. Posted March 13, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Michael!
    I really wanted to come to see your presentation at 360 Flex, unfortunately I couldn’t. I hope the video from it will be up soon!
    The example is great, although the link for the source code seems to be broken.

2. Posted March 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve repaired the link.

3. Posted March 19, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks Michael! I really enjoyed your presentation at 360 Flex.

4. Posted April 6, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Michael,

Very nice example. Thanks for sharing.

I have a question. What should I change to do the following:
    When clicking on a bar (big one- not the sub-bars inside them) have that var selected and move the sliders to slider.values[0] = event.item.index (for that bar) and slider.values[1] =event.item.index+1.

5. Posted April 7, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Interesting software! Will feature in my Data Visualisation References resource list, aspiring to be the most comprehensive on the net. (Will be updated a little later today or tomorrow, please be patient.) If you miss anything that I might be able to find for you or if you yourself want to share a resource, please leave a comment.

6. Jonathan
    Posted November 19, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Has the video recording of the session been published yet?

7. Posted November 20, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

@Jonathan Yes, John posted the video over on the 360|Flex site. Looks like something went wrong with the screen capture, but the video does contain the audio that goes along with the slides.

8. Gowdhaman
    Posted January 5, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

My unluck it is not supported for flex 4. Axiis is wonderful component. I avoid because of this capability. I know development(SVN) going. We expect it soon.

9. arj
    Posted April 3, 2011 at 1:02 am | Permalink

Hey Michael. I’m working on my phd and need to make some attention-grabbing walkthroughs of the research. After seeing some of the examples done with Axiis, I’m really impressed! However, I was wondering if you have a very simple getting started guide for someone new to visualization but needing to make use of it quickly?

Arj

10. Posted April 3, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Arj,
    I would recommend checking out the core functionality video: